shared-mime-info and desktops

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowi at redhat.com
Thu Jul 16 05:47:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-07-15 at 17:08 -0400, Dan Book wrote:
>         Cinnamon and MATE ship mimeapps lists (though they weren't
>         functional until recently), and I am not sure if they are set
>         up to work without the defaults. I think it makes more sense
>         for the DE-specific mimelists to be shipped by the DE, and not
>         a single package.
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/cinnamon-desktop.git/tree/x-cinnamon-mimeapps.list
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mate-desktop.git/tree/mate-mimeapps.list

+1 to this approach; this has been supported since glib-2.42 (F21), so
in addition to these and GNOME (in shared-mime-info), LXDE, LXQt, and
XFCE should also provide their own per the spec:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/mime-apps-spec/mime-apps-spec-latest.html

Note that the spec allows only Default Applications sections in
desktop-specific files; Added/Removed Associations sections would have
to go into /usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list, which would naturally
belong in shared-mime-info.

AFAICS kdelibs 4.x only supports
$XDG_DATA_{HOME,DATA}/applications/mimeapps.list, but I'm not sure wrt
KF5.  I guess that means that KDE's defaults will need to be shipped in
shared-mime-info; whether all desktops' should or not is a matter for
discussion.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Associate Software Engineer, ARM