Improving our processes for new contributors.

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Thu Jul 16 17:53:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:05:40AM -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> When I looked into packaging, I found extensive documentation but
> very few tutorial-style materials. I like the hands-on approach so I
> wrote a 'user story' about packaging a simple project:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_GNU_Hello_RPM_package
I made some tweaks to the text. I think it is a reasonable introduction.

--

One thing which I find very annoying when creating new packages is the
need to use bare rpmbuild commands. I find the split between

Without the fake remote fedpkg fails. I am wondering if there is a way
to achieve this in a simpler way, or if not, if it would be possible to
modify fedpkg to support packages which are not part of Fedora out of the
box. IMHO this would make the process easier and more consistent for
new (or existing) contributors.

Zbyszek

(*) Because of the multiple directories it is harder to find stuff.
    It is impossible to use version control on the spec file.
    Tools like 'spectool -g' download stuff to the current directory,
    so it is necessary to move file around afterwards.
    And most importantly, this setup is only used temporarily, before
    the package is reviewed and approved.