building an embedded Linux distro into a RPM package

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Jul 25 14:54:41 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 08:51:09AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 23:05:07 -0400,
>  Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> wrote:
> >
> >Is there an existing Fedora "cross" toolchain for targeting a tiny
> >i586/i686 Linux userspace with uClibc?  Maybe I could use that to
> >build linuxpba and the PBA image itself.  I'd still need a custom
> >kernel, because the standard kernel bzImage is already bigger than my
> >entire PBA image, and that isn't counting the loadable modules.
>
> openwrt builds on Fedora with very little work. The first part of
> that is building the cross tool chain it uses to build images.

Okay, but is that toolchain in Fedora already?  It seems there is no
i586/i686 uClibc toolchain already packaged in Fedora.

What the question seems to come down to is, does Fedora insist that
every unique toolchain/build environment used by any particular
package MUST be available as separate Fedora package(s), or is it okay
to bundle the particular special toolchain with the package that is
being built?