Systemd Preset Policy

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 12:05:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 8:28 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 06:06:42PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 23:56:07 +0000
>> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:

>> > Yes, that's one option. I think that it's fairly reasoanble in case
>> > of a third-party low-level service like vboxservice.service.
>>
>> I would think the third party might ship their own presets in their
>> release package or the like?
> In the release package or even in the package containing the service
> itself. That's the way I understood what Sérgio wrote.
>
> (Either way, the preset file can be easily overriden by the
> administartor by adding a file with the same name in /etc,
> or by including a file with sorts earlier.)
>
> Zbyszek

It is the sort of eleventh hour re-arrangement of existing defaults
that make people very, very leery of anything involving systemd. The
change may well be worth doing, but "oh, you can just go fix that
yourself with a workaround" accumulates into a lot of work very
quickly, and it makes 3rd party integration for multiple platforms
that extra bit more difficult.