kernel builds in rawhide

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 09:15:58 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Tomas Tomecek <ttomecek at redhat.com> wrote:
> I can see that RCs of development version of kernel are being built in rawhide.
> Which is really great to test new stuff. But I would be pretty scared to run RC
> kernel normally.

No, I don't see how that adds value, the kernels RCs are generally OK
and how is it any different to running development userspace

> Would it make sense then to also build latest stable releases?
>
> E.g. now it would be 4.1.3. All I can see in koji is this 4.1.3 build [1] for f22.

How would that even work from a dnf/rpm perspective? It will always
pull in the latest and hence what ever RC is currently built. Kernels
have the lovely ability to have more than one installed at once, by
default 3, so if one particular RC causes issues you grab appropriate
debug details to report a bug and reboot into the last one that
worked. You could also manually download/install a 4.1.x stable
release if a RC series causes you particular pain in a cycle, but
ultimately if it's not tested and fixed in the RC cycle you're likely
to have issues with it when it goes stable due to people not testing.

Peter