Packaging golang for secondary architectures, go-srpm-macros

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Mon Jul 27 11:51:52 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-27, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dne 27.7.2015 v 12:00 Jan Chaloupka napsal(a):
>> You can say the same about perl-srpm-macros, ocaml-srpm-macros or
>> other *-srpm-macros package redhat-rpm-config has as a runtime
>> dependency.
>
> Yes, and I say that about them. You can ask Perl maintainers at minimum.
> The worst thing is that you already take them as an excuse to not do the
> right thing :/

Sometimes you need macros in minimal build root to influence resulting
source pacakges. Then the macros will be always available for everyone
anytime regardless being deliery by redhat-rpm-config or any other
package.

My reasoning for having specific macros in specific package instead of in
redhat-rpm-config is that it separates responsibility and
accountibility. If something goes wrong, locating the real cause by
comparing build root listing is easier than diffing redhat-rpm-config
files. Also letting tens of people commit into redhat-rpm-config does
not sound for me correct and safe.

-- Petr