kernel builds in rawhide

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 27 14:05:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Tomas Tomecek <ttomecek at redhat.com> wrote:
> Quoting Peter Robinson (2015-07-27 11:15:58)
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Tomas Tomecek <ttomecek at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > I can see that RCs of development version of kernel are being built in rawhide.
>> > Which is really great to test new stuff. But I would be pretty scared to run RC
>> > kernel normally.
>>
>> No, I don't see how that adds value, the kernels RCs are generally OK
>> and how is it any different to running development userspace
>
> ...or they can contain bugs in FS drivers which will corrupt your data.

That possibility always exists.  Rawhide has been using the model it
currently does for years because it works.  The number of data
corruption bugs has been very very low.

>> > Would it make sense then to also build latest stable releases?
>> >
>> > E.g. now it would be 4.1.3. All I can see in koji is this 4.1.3 build [1] for f22.
>>
>> How would that even work from a dnf/rpm perspective? It will always
>> pull in the latest and hence what ever RC is currently built. Kernels
>> have the lovely ability to have more than one installed at once, by
>> default 3, so if one particular RC causes issues you grab appropriate
>> debug details to report a bug and reboot into the last one that
>> worked. You could also manually download/install a 4.1.x stable
>> release if a RC series causes you particular pain in a cycle, but
>> ultimately if it's not tested and fixed in the RC cycle you're likely
>> to have issues with it when it goes stable due to people not testing.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Well, we could have a separate repo with all stable kernels and installing the
> kernels as
>
> ```
> $ dnf update --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo=rawhide-stable-kernel
> ```
>
> (wild idea)

If it isn't built into the Fedora process, it is simply additional
work for my team.

>> You could also manually download/install a 4.1.x stable release if a RC series
>> causes you particular pain in a cycle
>
> I can't. I would have to build it myself. And that's really my point with this
> thread: should I build the kernel myself, or is anyone else interested in this
> and can we figure out a solution for everyone?

You do not have to build it yourself.  Just use the F22 kernel from
koji or the f22 repos.

josh