kernel builds in rawhide

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 14:17:46 UTC 2015

>> > I can see that RCs of development version of kernel are being built in rawhide.
>> > Which is really great to test new stuff. But I would be pretty scared to run RC
>> > kernel normally.
>>
>> No, I don't see how that adds value, the kernels RCs are generally OK
>> and how is it any different to running development userspace
>
> ...or they can contain bugs in FS drivers which will corrupt your data.

You can have that even in stable releases, look at the recent issue
with corruption which affected a number of the stable releases from
memory.

>> > Would it make sense then to also build latest stable releases?
>> >
>> > E.g. now it would be 4.1.3. All I can see in koji is this 4.1.3 build [1] for f22.
>>
>> How would that even work from a dnf/rpm perspective? It will always
>> pull in the latest and hence what ever RC is currently built. Kernels
>> have the lovely ability to have more than one installed at once, by
>> default 3, so if one particular RC causes issues you grab appropriate
>> debug details to report a bug and reboot into the last one that
>> worked. You could also manually download/install a 4.1.x stable
>> release if a RC series causes you particular pain in a cycle, but
>> ultimately if it's not tested and fixed in the RC cycle you're likely
>> to have issues with it when it goes stable due to people not testing.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Well, we could have a separate repo with all stable kernels and installing the
> kernels as
>
> ```
> $ dnf update --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo=rawhide-stable-kernel
> ```
>
> (wild idea)

And who would do all that extra work, the QA of the kernel on the
various different combinations of release?

>> You could also manually download/install a 4.1.x stable release if a RC series
>> causes you particular pain in a cycle
>
> I can't. I would have to build it myself. And that's really my point with this
> thread: should I build the kernel myself, or is anyone else interested in this
> and can we figure out a solution for everyone?

Why? You can run most kernels anywhere, I often run rawhide kernels on
stable releases and visa versa and getting them from koji is a
solution that works for most people who want something non standard.

Peter