About making noarch package arch specific, when contents differ.

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 03:37:55 UTC 2015

> Excerpts from paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade's message of 2015-07-27 00:05 +10:00:
>> Should I make the doc packages arch specific?
>
> Rather than trying to make Sphinx spit out bitwise-identical output on
> every arch (which sounds like fighting a losing battle), could you just
> build the doc subpackage on only one arch?
>
> %ifarch x86_64
> %package doc
> BuildArch: noarch
> %endif

  This looks like a very wise way of handling it. Actually, while debugging
it, I found that the translated documentation was not being properly
generated, and after fixing it, it would take like 3 to 4 times longer
to generate docs, and doc generation was already almost 80% of
the package build time...

> I think Koji still counts this a regular noarch subpackage and it should
> therefore be included in the Fedora trees for all arches.

  In the worst case, it would generate -doc packages only for x86_64,
where most users interested on reading it would be using.

> --
> Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
> Senior Software Engineer, Products & Technologies Operations
> Red Hat, Inc.

Thanks! I will try this way :)
Paulo