[HEADS UP] rpm-4.12.90 in rawhide

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 09:37:53 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 09:43 AM, Lubos Kardos wrote:
> Support in rpm is not enough but libsolv supports rich deps since the version
> 0.6.9 too thus rich deps work also in hawkey and dnf if the version 0.6.9 or
> a newer version of libsolv is installed.

Right now only AND and OR is supported by libsolv. Implementation of IF
ELSE is still pending.

Also we still need to settle to a final syntax for the operators [1].
Unfortunately there is no consensus among the other packaging formats
what to use. Right now rpm accepts 3 different styles:
 * AND OR IF ELSE
 * & | ? :
 * && || ? :
But the final release will only support on of them. As soon as the alpha
stops eating babies that's a discussion we need to have.

So for now they are more a tech preview in Fedora but we want to get
them operational til the release. This still means that they are not
supposed to be used in F23 as they may only completely work very late.
Also there is still a lot of paper work to do for the packaging policy.

I expect that both Boolean Deps and File Triggers won't be introduced in
one go but there will be multiple Fedora Features introducing them one
use case at a time. E.g. one feature per file trigger replacing one kind
of scriptlets. Boolean dependencies being used for language packs being
one Feature/Package Policy section and other use cases being others.

This may start in the F24 time frame - especially for some urgent corner
cases - but my guess is that this will rather take multiple releases.

Florian

[1] http://rpm.org/wiki/PackagerDocs/BooleanDependencies

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael