[HEADS UP] rpm-4.12.90 in rawhide

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 12:49:05 UTC 2015

Dne 28.7.2015 v 13:37 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Florian Festi <ffesti at redhat.com
> <mailto:ffesti at redhat.com>>wrote:
>
>     On 07/28/2015 09:43 AM, Lubos Kardos wrote:
>     > Support in rpm is not enough but libsolv supports rich deps
>     since the version
>     > 0.6.9 too thus rich deps work also in hawkey and dnf if the
>     version 0.6.9 or
>     > a newer version of libsolv is installed.

$ rpm -q libsolv
libsolv-0.6.11-1.fc22.x86_64

Sounds great ...

>     Right now only AND and OR is supported by libsolv. Implementation
>     of IF
>     ELSE is still pending.
>
>     Also we still need to settle to a final syntax for the operators [1].
>     Unfortunately there is no consensus among the other packaging formats
>     what to use. Right now rpm accepts 3 different styles:
>      * AND OR IF ELSE
>      * & | ? :
>      * && || ? :
>     But the final release will only support on of them. As soon as the
>     alpha
>     stops eating babies that's a discussion we need to have.
>
>     So for now they are more a tech preview in Fedora but we want to get
>     them operational til the release.

Never thought about anything else than Rawhide ...

>     This still means that they are not
>     supposed to be used in F23 as they may only completely work very late.
>     Also there is still a lot of paper work to do for the packaging
>     policy.
>
>     I expect that both Boolean Deps and File Triggers won't be
>     introduced in
>     one go but there will be multiple Fedora Features introducing them one
>     use case at a time. E.g. one feature per file trigger replacing
>     one kind
>     of scriptlets. Boolean dependencies being used for language packs
>     being
>     one Feature/Package Policy section and other use cases being others.

Just out of curiosity, do you have already any candidates for File
Triggers? I suppose "/sbin/ldconfig" is one of them. Do you plan to have
some F24 feature to get rid of these?

>     This may start in the F24 time frame - especially for some urgent
>     corner
>     cases - but my guess is that this will rather take multiple releases.
>
>     Florian
>
>     [1] http://rpm.org/wiki/PackagerDocs/BooleanDependencies
>
>     --
>
>     Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
>     Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB 153243,
>     Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael
>     O'Neill, Charles Peters
>     --
>

> ​Is there a reason why we can't maintain all three kinds? Also, why in
> the world are bitwise operation operators supported for logical
> operations? I'd be okay with maintaining options 1 and 3, to be honest. ​

1 and 3 looks good to me.

Vít