and legacy software Re: pyorbit

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Tue Jul 28 20:27:45 UTC 2015

On Ter, 2015-07-28 at 16:48 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/pyorbit.git/plain/dead.package
> >
> > > last user has been retired, package EOL
> >
> > Error: nothing provides pyorbit(x86-64) >= 2.0.1 needed by gnome-python2-bonobo-2.28.1-16.fc23.x86_64
> >
> > What's the full story here? Where has this been discussed/announced?
>
> I'm no longer interested in a response to this inquiry as I've dropped
> ownership of SoundConverter (which depends on gnome-python2-bonobo and some
> other gnome-python2-* packages).

As I have thought for some time,  I think we should have a team to keep
packages and make migrations like gtk2 to gkt3, libgnome2, pyorbit,
gnome-python2, pyhton2 to python3 , qt3 etc etc

A team that take care of legacy software, preferably that update it,  I
got some in my own gdesklets , rawstudio, gmameui ,  flumontion ,
gtetrinet ...

In the other day, thread "Investigation of the F23 mass rebuild" "that
nearly 4% of our binary packages haven't rebuilt in F23, is quite
worrisome" , but my question is, should we need rebuild all that is
legacy software ? We have do something or helping project migrate
software or make a group of legacy software, that could be not part of
base of Fedora and mass rebuilds , the mummified software .

Looking for dependencies of pyorbit :
repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires pyorbit\*
gnome-python2-bonobo
repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires gnome-python2\*| wc -l
76

Looks to me, gnome-python2 is deprecated and all software that depends
on should be migrated .

Other example /usr/share/gnome/help , things for gnome-doc-utils,  this
is documentation for Gnome2 ?  this isn't used anymore ? isn't ? .

Anyway, we should look for this classes of software and decide what
todo , instead leaving them without a plan .

Best regards,
--
Sérgio M. B.