Fedora minimal installations

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 20:14:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 20:05:52 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> >> That's a package with three directories... Guidelines require this dependency.
> >
> > It's pretty painless in itself, but then requires anyone to build emacs
> > itself as part of this, even if the main package isn't used. Maybe
> > those three directories should just be moved to the main filesystem
> > package?
>
> That's probably the best fix (and add a Provides for emacs-filesystem
> to the filesystem package at the same time).

Seriously?

Where to start? Where to stop?

$ rpmls filesystem|grep ^d|wc -l
15733

Today you add directories for Emacs, tomorrow you add directories
for even further packages that are in the same problem space?
Please!

Sometimes -filesystem subpackages contain versioned directories.
You cannot predict what will be necessary.

I can understand creating filesystem packages for directories
with very special ownership and permissions, but not the common
(755,root,root) case. It is not a big deal to include them in
multiple packages. And perhaps one day RPM will do something
about directory ownership on-the-fly, too.