Proposal: Drop comps

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 30 07:02:20 UTC 2015

On July 29, 2015 2:06:52 PM PDT, "Richard W.M. Jones" <
rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:45:57AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > ocaml
>
> The comps.xml group for ocaml is pretty weird.  It has some mandatory
> base packages, which are OK-ish (although there are some notable ones
> missing such as ocaml-camlp4-devel and ocaml-labltk-devel).
>
> Then it has a strange set of optional packages, which is a tiny
> subset
> of the 89 OCaml packages in Fedora.
>
> I've never used comps.xml and don't really know what it is good for,
> except I know of the existence of some graphical tools which consume
> it.  Richard Hughes's appdata seems like a more complete concept for
> people that want that kind of thing.

Our entire image building and delivery system is built around comps.
The groups in comps are used in defining the contents of live images
and product trees (and hence DVD images), and the arm disk images. The
groups defined in comps are the ones users can choose from in
netinst/dvd installs.

We could look at subbing in something better (the restrictions on
relationships between packages, groups and environments can be a pain),
but it'd need to be a careful process.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey