Emacs packaging guidelines

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 08:18:13 UTC 2015

Dne 29.7.2015 v 19:42 Michael Schwendt napsal(a):
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:53:27 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>
>> "The Emacs add-on packaging guidelines no longer stipulate that packages which
>> also bundle support for Emacs should split out those Emacs files into separate
>> sub-packages. This package should instead ship those files with the main
>> package which should also Require emacs-filesystem. See
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Emacs for more detail."
> And once again the wording is weak. It says "should". Three times even.
>
> Based on that, calling existing emacs- subpackages "violations" is a
> highly questionable thing to do. And new packagers would prefer more
> clear and concise wording, too.

Actually what is the point of following?

```
Case II

Where a package's principal functionality does not require (X)Emacs, but
the package also includes some auxiliary Elisp files to provide support
for the package in (X)Emacs, these should be included in the main
package which will need to Require the emacs-filesystem and/or
xemacs-filesystem packages. More detail below.
```

Why the files should be provided in the main package? Why it should not
be subpackage? It is exaclty against principles applied anywhere else,
e.g. if I have library with binding for some language, these binding
will be probably in corresponding -language subpackage.

Vít