[HEADS UP] rpm-4.12.90 in rawhide

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Jul 30 10:21:43 UTC 2015

Florian Festi wrote:
> Also we still need to settle to a final syntax for the operators [1].
> Unfortunately there is no consensus among the other packaging formats
> what to use. Right now rpm accepts 3 different styles:
>  * AND OR IF ELSE
>  * & | ? :
> But the final release will only support on of them. As soon as the
> alpha stops eating babies that's a discussion we need to have.

I'm sure the C-like operators will be popular among people who are
accustomed to C and its descendants, but please keep in mind that
packagers aren't necessarily C programmers. Especially the conditional
operator from C – the question mark and colon – is quite unintuitive.
People who don't already know the C syntax are unlikely to understand it
without some teaching.

Björn Persson