[HEADS-UP] Please test kdbus in Rawhide!

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jul 30 17:57:14 UTC 2015

Heya!

I'd like to ask everybody to test kdbus on Rawhide. Josh thankfully
added it to the Rawhide kernel packages, and our systemd RPMs come
with built-in support, too now. If you are running an up-to-date
Rawhide system adding "kdbus=1" to your kernel command line is hence
everything you need to run kdbus instead of dbus-daemon. (No
additional RPMs need to be installed.) If you do, things should just
work the same way as before, if we did everything right. By adding or
dropping "kdbus=1" to/from the command line you can enable kdbus or
revert back to dbus1 on each individual boot.

This stuff is opt-in, and we are very keen on getting feedback and
testing for this. The version of kdbus in Rawhide we consider API
stable, there is a complete client side available now in systemd, with
a client API in sd-bus. Compatibility with good old dbus1 is provided
by the "systemd-bus-proxy" service.

The folks involved in kdbus development have been running this code on
their systems for more than half a year now. There were occasional
hiccups, but we fixed everything we ran into, and it works pretty well
now. Our focus was specifically on providing the best possible
compatibility with dbus1. Now we'd like to increase the testing
audience and added this to Rawhide because of this.

Further information about kdbus and how to get started you may find
here:

        http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/kdbus/

We'd very thankful for every Fedora developer testing this and
providing bug reports! Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Also, should you attend our upcoming conference, we might return the
favour by buying you a beer or two:

        https://systemd.events/

Thank you,

Lennart