and legacy software Re: pyorbit

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jul 31 00:34:19 UTC 2015

Matěj Cepl wrote:
> I take Gnumeric and Emacs, but all other ones are in-Gnome
> projects, aren't they (at least having repository in
> git.gnome.org)?

Gnumeric is part of GNOME Office, so it is also under the GNOME umbrella
these days.

The thing is that GTK+ 3 is becoming more and more useless outside of GNOME,
given their recent changes, e.g.:
* client-side window decorations are more or less required. They "fixed"
  their non-CSD fallback support recently, but that only means that it draws
  its custom title bar underneath the WM's.
* discontinued support for theme engines, which means:
  - theming is limited to CSS, much less flexible than C (or C++) code,
  - theming code can no longer be shared between GTK+ 2 and 3,
  - the existing oxygen-gtk3 theme no longer works, which broke Plasma
    integration,
  - efforts like the gtk-qt-engine have become completely impossible, every
    single theme now has to be ported to GTK+ CSS.
* the default DPI is now (at least in master) hardcoded to 96 instead of
  defaulting to the value actually reported by the hardware.
* abuse of nonstandard *-symbolic icons. Selecting monochromatic vs. colored
  icon should be done by selecting the theme, not the icon name, and it
  should adapt to the desktop. Non-GNOME desktops want colored icons, unless
  they're using a theme like Breeze where (almost) ALL icons are
  monochromatic (which also makes *-symbolic useless).

        Kevin Kofler