F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 1 18:58:07 UTC 2015

Am 01.06.2015 um 20:30 schrieb Andrew Lutomirski:

>>> I disagree generally in the case of server deployments.
>>>
>>> Having a local caching resolver is pretty much essential, even though we
>>> all know it's just a workaround for glibc.
>>
>> no it is not in case of a serious server setup - period
>
> I'm with Jason here.  Glibc's resolver is amazingly buggy, and things
> break randomly and unreproducibly when this happens.  A good setup
> would have a local resolver and glibc would be configured to cache
> nothing whatsoever.  Then, if you need to perform maintenance on the
> local DNS cache, you can do it by flushing your local resolver rather
> than trying to figure out how you're going to persuade every running
> program to tell glibc to flush its cache

i never saw glibc caching any dns response, at least on Fedora, new
subdomains are working from the moment they are provisioned even if they
are tried a few seconds before

on Apple clients you need to flush the local cache

so with setup a dns cache on each and every machine you fuckup your
network because you introduce the same negative TTL caching affecting
OSX clients for years now

no, thanks, not for static configured servers and even not for
workstations running inside a relieable company network

and for "avoiding a single point of failure (your LAN
nameserver)" - in a proper network it don't fail - never