Reviving Fedora MIPS

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 10:19:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 10:10:17PM +0200, Michal Toman wrote:
> Apart from mips64el, we have lately started working on 32-bit mipsel, to
> be ran on the Creator CI20 Borad [4]. This is basically 3 months behind
> mips64el so there are no significant results yet, but hopefully will be
> soon.

I have the Creator CI20 board.  Does this mean ImgTec are going to
bring out a 64 bit development board :-?  I guess you won't be able
to tell me ..

Anyway my CI20 is currently running Debian, but I'll give Fedora a go
when I have the time.

> Any help would be appreciated, especially in the area of kernel, u-boot
> and some specific languages - haskell, erlang, ocaml etc. I have already
> been playing with some of those and there is a list of issues on the wiki.

There's no OCaml 32 bit MIPS backend upstream, but there used to be
one.  An older version of it can be found here:

https://github.com/retired-camels/ocaml

Claims to support BE and LE and uses the "n32" ABI, whatever that
means.  It would require a certain amount of work to bring that up to
date, but it's not impossible.

As far as I can tell there is no 64 bit MIPS backend at all and never
has been.  Depending on how different 32 bit and 64 bit MIPS are that
might be a lot of work to implement.

Rich.