Docker base image naming for non-x86_64

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 2 15:02:30 UTC 2015

Hello all,
    There was recently a thread on the Fedora ARM mailing list[0]
about getting a Fedora ARM image into the official Docker Hub. That
discussion lead down the trail of how to best handle the naming for
all of this.

The current questions are either using Fedora's namespace and just
making a new image (using Fedora ARM as an example), this would be the
"FROM" line for a Dockerfile

    FROM fedora/armhfp

Which would then contain all the standard tags for latest, rawhide, f22, etc.

Or alternatively, have each architecture maintain their own namespace
within the Hub which would look a little more like:

    FROM fedora-arm

I'm personally a fan of the first option because it keeps things under
the Fedora umbrella and also allows for flexibility of aarch64, POWER,
etc as Docker supports more architectures. However the one thing I see
there that could be problematic is the possibility for users to be
confused if they don't search on the Docker Hub webUI and see the
associated documentation highlighting that the base image is for a
different architecture but instead just search from the docker command
line and end up with an image that won't run.

Looking forward to feedback on the topic.

Thanks,
-AdamM

[0] - https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/arm/2015-June/009526.html