F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 17:38:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-01 at 21:31 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 01.06.2015 um 20:30 schrieb Andrew Lutomirski:
> > I would think that avoiding a single point of failure (your LAN
> > nameserver) would be a *good* thing
>
> and your holy one and only resolver on localhost is not a single point
> of failure?

No more than glibc, or any other component you have.

>  in fact it would take much longer to recognize a failing and
> exclusive local resolver on 2 out of 1000 servers why it gets visible
> from the first second if your central nameservers have problems

This is orthogonal to the problem being solved.

> and BTW glibc has no problem with the first nameserver in
> /etc/resolv.conf failing as long as the slave responds, it may take a
> little time but that don't matter as long as we are not talking about a
> incoming mail exchanger

Yes there are situation where it doesn't matter ... and there are
situation where it does. A local resolver has many advantages and very
few disadvantages for the *general* case.

Take it easy, it is not the end of the world.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York