F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 2 17:51:09 UTC 2015

Am 02.06.2015 um 19:45 schrieb Simo Sorce:
> On Mon, 2015-06-01 at 21:44 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> it don't cache dns respones - try it out in your local network
>> *client applications* may cache respones
>>
>> try it out in your local network
>>
>> * enter a non existing subdomain in firefox
>> * add the hostname to your LAN nameserver
>> * try again: firefox refuses
>> * restart just firefox
>> * it resolves without any delay
>>
>> a) that proves no systemwide cachae
>> b) it proves with introduce a local systemdwide cache
>>      you introduce a problem not existing before
>>

> If you have nscd running glibc caches, so it is a matter of
> configuration.

completly different topic

if i install a local resolver and start it it caches - so what - the
same for nscd which is not default, so you can't blame glibc because
caching of an additional package

> The *only* reason why Firefox caches Names is because we do not have a
> local dns caching resolver, so Firefox had to implement its own.
>
> If you had a local caching resolver Firefox could be changed to stop
> caching on its own instead

tell me one reason why *any* application has to cache DNS results at
it's own - it don't matter at all if the machine has a local
resolver/cache or not, it's not the business of any user application

and just because you have a local resolver firefox won't stop it's behavior