F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Tomas Hozza thozza at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 17:57:39 UTC 2015

On 06/02/2015 06:44 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2015, David Howells wrote:
>
>>> Install a local DNS resolver trusted for the DNSSEC validation
>>> running on
>>> 127.0.0.1:53. This must be the only name server entry in
>>> /etc/resolv.conf.
>>>
>>> The automatic name server entries received via dhcp/vpn/wireless
>>> configurations should be stored separately (e.g. this is stored in the
>>> NetworkManager internal state), as transitory name servers to be
>>> used by the
>>> trusted local resolver. In all cases, DNSSEC validation will be done
>>> locally.
>>
>> How does this interact with dnsmasq which also wants to be the only name
>> server entry in resolv.conf?
dnsmasq is not the default entry in /etc/resolv.conf. It can be used
with NM, but unbound can be, too. dnsmasq was integrated with NM sooner,
since it didn't have DNSSEC support, which made a lot of corner cases
and issues basically non-existing.

Unbound it relatively simple and single purpose DNS resolver that was
designed with DNSSEC in mind from the beginning... in comparison to
dnsmasq. dnsmasq is a Swiss knife that is good for simple solutions
hacked together with single component (since it supports DHCPv4/6, TFPT
and also DNS+DNSSEC).

> Not well? The problem is dnsmasq is not as feature complete as unbound
> (and its dnssec implementation is very new).
I agree, and as a previous maintainer of dnsmasq, I think unbound is
better option. Although dnsmasq has a simple DBus API, it is mostly for
DHCP. Also unbound has modular design and easy interface
(unbound-control) enabling to reconfigure it dynamically.
> I think most people end up running dnsmasq because of KVM/libvirtd ? I
> think those dnsmasq's should be run in "dhcp only" mode and point to
> the hosts's unbound.
Right. dnsmasq run by libvirtd uses the default configuration WRT
resolv.conf. So it uses the servers from resolv.conf for resolution ->
which will be unbound. There are not conflicts between unbound running
as local resolver and dnsmasq instances run by libvirtd.

Tomas