fedup for F23 and beyond

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:14:21 UTC 2015

On 3 June 2015 at 11:55, Petr Hracek <phracek at redhat.com> wrote:
> Does it mean that using systemd Offline Updates there will not be a "Zero"
> downtime feature.
> Except rebooting because of kernel upgrade?

Well, we'll certainly be using offline updates to do the actual transaction.

> Will there be any possibility to inform user if API or ABI issues are
> discovered after an upgrade?

We won't be able to do the update if there are package conflicts.
We're aiming to show the apps that are problems and offer to remove
them, but we can't work magic.

> E.g Database was changed and needs to be fixed after the upgrade?

This needs to be done in the rpm post scripts.

> QT and GUI for upgrade would be awesome?
> Do you have any draft already?

There are several mockups for GNOME Software already; these need more
work but are almost there. I'm almost certain we'll be using
gnome-software at least for the workstation spin although they'll of
course be a command line tool to schedule to upgrade. I've been asked
to spend some time to integrate bits of Wills work into PackageKit,
which I'll start to do in a couple of weeks time.

Richard