git perl-less build?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Jun 3 11:19:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015, at 05:23 AM, Petr Stodulka wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have this request on bugzilla [0] for perl-less build of git due to
> large dependency on Perl modules, which is unwanted for atomic.
>
> I am not sure that's good idea.
> With this change we will create places for error messages about missing
> perl modules and that's something what we don't want.

I think we could design things so that existing users got git-perl on upgrades.

> E.g. missing git-add--interactive will bring one unusable option which
> will cause error message like this. I have two other bugs where I solve
> similar troubles. Separate whole git-add doesn't make sense. So if this
> is good trade off approved by others, OK, we can do that, with notice
> that some error messages can appear.

Right, I think were this package to exist, users would understand that
it doesn't have all of the git functionality.

Mainly, what's desired is the ability to do `git clone`, and other read-only
operations like `git checkout`, etc.

WRT Atomic, it's quite common to store Dockerfiles in git.  So here,
you want to `git clone` + `docker build -t blah .`.