F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 11:39:23 UTC 2015

On 3.6.2015 10:58, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 03.06.2015 um 09:14 schrieb Petr Spacek:
>>> so with setup a dns cache on each and every machine you fuckup your network
>>> because you introduce the same negative TTL caching affecting OSX clients for
>>> years now
>>
>> Please let me clarify few things:
>>
>> 1) Negative caching is controlled by zone owner. If you are not happy that
>> OSX/Windows clients cache negative answers for zones your company use - no
>> problem, set SOA minimum field to 1 second and be done with that.
>
> bad idea when you maintain public nameservers for some hundret domains just

I agree that it is a very bad idea to ignore DNS caching. It was built-in on
purpose.

> because broken clietn software

I'm sorry for disappointing you.

The behavior I describe is standard for last ~ 20 years 1987 (RFCs
1034/1035/2308). If you don't agree with standard then you cannot use DNS
technology as standardized. Here I'm not sure if other Fedora users would also
welcome non-standard behavior.

If you feel that the standard is broken then *please* continue with discussion
on IETF's dnsop mailing list:

Thank you for understanding.

Petr^2 Spacek

--