F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jun 3 12:07:36 UTC 2015

Am 03.06.2015 um 14:02 schrieb Petr Spacek:
> On 3.6.2015 13:45, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> I'm sorry for disappointing you.
>>>
>>> The behavior I describe is standard for last ~ 20 years 1987 (RFCs
>>> 1034/1035/2308). If you don't agree with standard then you cannot use DNS
>>> technology as standardized. Here I'm not sure if other Fedora users would also
>>> welcome non-standard behavior.
>>>
>>> If you feel that the standard is broken then *please* continue with discussion
>>> on IETF's dnsop mailing list:
>>
>> come on stop trolling that way because you know exactly what i am talking
>> about by "broken client software" - the point is that with caching on each and
>> every device you lose the oppotinity clear central caches for whatever reason
>> and make the changes visible on all clients in realtime
>
> You will lose the ability because *you configured the zone with
> inappropriately long TTL*

no, you lose the ability only when each and every device maintains it's
own cache while TTL is normally meant for resolvers and you don't need
more than *one* trustable and redundant resolver for a whole LAN

with that *one* flush on that resolver would lead in the desired result
for the whole network and you don't need hacks like dns views for the
own LAN with a very low TTL while you don't want that for the rest of
the world