git perl-less build?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jun 3 13:35:18 UTC 2015

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Petr Stodulka <pstodulk at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 3.6.2015 13:56, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
[...]
>>> What about adopting something similar to what has been done for
>>> the R package, There is R-core, R-java R-devel and R. If you
>>> yum/dnf install R you get all of them and you can install either
>>> one independently.
>>>
>>> So in this case, we could have git-core, git-perl, git-foo and
>>> yum/dnf install git would provides the full experience, while the
>>> atomic folks rely on git-core instead.
[...]
>> Thank you Pierre, that sounds reasonably. We could create packages
>> *git-core* & *git-perl* sub-packages and both required inside
>> original *git* package.  So user will be able to use still same
>> functionality as usually without troubles, even after upgrade
>> (doesn't count upstream changes).  And Atomic will use *git-core*
>> package. Are you OK with this solution Colin?
>
> This is somewhat funny, since we already _had_ git-core long ago for
> this very reason, and it was consolidated into a single git package.
> History repeats itself.

Indeed.  We now have a git-all metapackage which pulls in all of the
git subpackages, which is a lot¹.  Many of the subpackages are only
useful for integration with other SCM systems, and that is certainly a
good reason to have them not pulled in by default.

I do think that the default git package should continue to pull in the
few core parts which rely on perl.  They might not be used by folks
wanting a very minimal build, but they are quite commonly used by
plenty of git users.

I think in addition to git-all which pulls in everything, a
git-minimal (or git-core, if we want to repeat history) would be
better than stripping the perl-dependencies from the default git
install.

¹ Here is the current list of subpackages from master:

    emacs-git
    emacs-git-el
    git-all
    git-cvs
    git-daemon
    git-email
    git-gui
    gitk
    git-p4
    git-svn
    gitweb
    perl-Git
    perl-Git-SVN

--
Todd
I could never recommend the use of drugs or alcohol to anyone, but