yum for mock in RHEL 6?

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 15:10:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Mathieu Bridon <bochecha at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 14:19 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> > Dne 2.6.2015 v 06:56 Dave Johansen napsal(a):
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mock#Mock_on_EL_6_and_EL_7:_Yum.2C_a
> > > nd_DNF
> > >
> > > I just ran into this issue and I was wondering if it's possible for
> > > this flag to be add to the default config on RHEL 6/7.
> >
> > Technically yes.
> >
> > Politically no.
> >
> > As stated in refered blog entry:
> >   http://miroslav.suchy.cz/blog/archives/2015/05/20/why_mock_does_not
> > _work_on_el_6_and_el7_and_how_to_fix_it/index.html
> > I decided to go with 3rd option. And you must manually acknowledge
> > that you are creating builds non-standard way and
> > they may differ from builds made on Fedora.

I don't mean to start an argument and this is a question out of honest
curiosity. I'm not familiar with the details of yum or dnf's requires
resolution, but are there really ambiguities in the dependency tree that
have multiple resolutions that are "valid" (like the ruby example you list
in the blog post)?

> Except that builds made on Fedora Koji all use yum to populate the mock
> chroot, not dnf.
>
> As a result, it is the mock default configuration of using dnf which is
> non-standard.

In my mind, "non-standard but works" is better than "standard but broken".
Especially, when the error is a bit hard to decipher and tracking down a
solution can take a while (at least in my case it did). Basically, I think
that one of the following solutions would be helpful:
1) Change EL to default to using yum so it "just works", or
2) Change the error message on EL to indicate why it's not working and
where more info can be found.

Thanks,
Dave