F23 Self Contained Change: Netizen Spin

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jun 4 16:45:20 UTC 2015

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 14:29:25 -0400
Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 02:21:42PM -0400, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > So, to be explicit:
> > <FESCo hat on>
> > The spin description, and spin contents, need to be put in line, so
> > that users installing the spin will get what they will expect to get
> > by reading the description; either by changing the description to
> > more precisely match the limited amount of what the spin currently
> > does, or by changing the scope to match the fairly ambitious
> > description.
> > </FESCo hat on>
>

> And...
>
> <hat="Fedora Council">
>
> I don't want to use a fairly strong, evocative name like "Fedora
> Netizen" for something which actually has much less-ambitious contents
> and scope — no matter the description (which is inevitably seen
> later). So, I would currently be -1 to a trademark request.
>
> </hat>

I'd like to add here that I personally like the idea around this spin,
but I would want it to live up to that idea. Just providing a
collection of privacy packages installed by default is great, but it's
not going to lead to a good experience or meet users expectations.

Ideally it would not only install those packages, but configure them to
a default to privacy setup. Additionally making some other changes from
default desktop settings to do that as well. This is something that
could be done in the spin %post or the like (all the other spins setup
various config there), or perhaps in a seperate package like a
'netizen-privacy' that makes those changes.

So, you not only include say tor, but you setup the browser to use it
by default, etc.

kevin