Docker base image naming for non-x86_64

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Jun 6 20:40:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015, at 11:02 AM, Adam Miller wrote:
> Hello all,
>     There was recently a thread on the Fedora ARM mailing list[0]
> about getting a Fedora ARM image into the official Docker Hub. That
> discussion lead down the trail of how to best handle the naming for
> all of this.
>
> The current questions are either using Fedora's namespace and just
> making a new image (using Fedora ARM as an example), this would be the
> "FROM" line for a Dockerfile
>
>     FROM fedora/armhfp

Upstream Docker does have an Architecture metadata field.

I'd imagine there is some possibility to teach the client how to pull
the right base image based on an architecture.

There's probably some discussion of this somewhere upstream?
I'm CC'ing Vincent who might know.

Or at least, detect when you pull an incompatible image?

It'd be good to coordinate this with other distributions like Debian
too - what patterns are they using?

I think what might be nicest is if the architecture became an implicit
3rd field or something?

So if I did:

docker pull fedora:22 from an x86_64 host I got x86_64 (or
amd64 in Debian terms),

But it should be *possible* to do:
docker pull fedora:22:arm64 or whatever on x86_64, even if
it won't actually run.