fedup for F23 and beyond

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Sun Jun 7 19:30:28 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-06-07 at 07:41 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Uhh, this might be a stupid question, but what actually prevents us
> from integrating the FedUp process into install media (that is, not
> live images)? I mean, yeah, it's nice that we can do upgrades online,
> but what about when the system we need to upgrade doesn't necessarily
> have online access? I'd like to be able to trigger the upgrade
> environment from install media (like with a Fedora Server ISO).

Nothing, really - it's *better* if you have access to the updates repos
during the upgrade, but it's technically feasible to do the upgrade
from local media/repos.

To make that work, you'd need:

a) a way to easily enable the media as a repo, and then
b) run DNF in offline mode (so it's OK with the unreachable network
repos), and then
c) ensure that the media will be mounted in the same place after reboot
(e.g. by adding it to /etc/fstab) so the upgrade can proceed.

(this workflow might even work with the current dnf-plugin-fedup, but I
haven't tried it...)

So, yeah, the last one is the trickiest part. It's very hard to be
certain about whether a given filesystem path will be there when you
reboot. So we either need to just leave that up to the user, or write
mount units for *everything* on the system and hope that systemd
figures it out after we reboot.

(It's on my TODO list, since the fedup supported this with --device,
but.. I just don't have spare time right now.)

-w