Checking the ABI of packages submitted to the updates-testing Fedora repository

Dodji Seketeli dodji at seketeli.org
Mon Jun 8 09:35:47 UTC 2015

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at redhat.com> a écrit:

> On Mon, 2015-06-08 at 11:53 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>
>> > I have not seen the output of abicheck (I use abi-compliance
>> > -checker
>> > personally but I guess abidiff is as good). However, I'm not sure
>> > about
>> > which changes which are not breakages you mean? I'm not aware of
>> > ABI
>> > changes which do not break users of libraries.
>> Adding new functions to ABI constitute changes that don't break
>> existing
>> users as long as previously available data structures are not
>> affected.
>
> Ok. In that aspect abi-compliance-checker is better as it notifies of
> ABI breakages and not just any changes.

I am afraid things are not only that simple.

For instance, if you have a function "void foo(struct something*p)", and
there is a change in "struct something".  That change is an ABI change.
But it might or might be an ABI breakage.  In that particular case, I
think abi-compliance-checker won't notice that change.  But it can be
harmful.

Please look at the code examples at https://sourceware.org/libabigail/manual/abidiff.html#usage-examples.

Cheers,

--