Checking the ABI of packages submitted to the updates-testing Fedora repository

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 10:59:31 UTC 2015

On 08.06.2015 12:37, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On 2015-06-05, Dodji Seketeli <dodji at seketeli.org> wrote:
>> The nature of programs written in these dynamic languages makes it quite
>> hard to compare types used in the API entry points of a library
>
> Pedantic note: There is difference between dynamic vs. static languages
> and dynamically vs. statically typed languages. While dynamic languages
> usually are dynamically typed, it does not imply it.

while we are being pedantic, we would be remiss not to mention that
there is no such thing as "dynamically typed", given that types are a
*syntactic* property.

"A type system is a tractable syntactic method for proving the absence
of certain program behaviors by classifying phrases according to the
kinds of values they compute." - Pierce, Benjamin C. (2002). Types and
Programming Languages. MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-16209-8.

for further discussion of the topic including an explanation of how the
term "dynamic language" actually goes back to the Visigoths, i refer to:

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1562#comment-18623