F23 Self Contained Change: Netizen Spin

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jun 8 18:41:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 15:18:12 +0000
Debarshi Ray <rishi.is at lostca.se> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 10:45:20AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Ideally it would not only install those packages, but configure
> > them to a default to privacy setup. Additionally making some other
> > changes from default desktop settings to do that as well. This is
> > something that could be done in the spin %post or the like (all the
> > other spins setup various config there), or perhaps in a seperate
> > package like a 'netizen-privacy' that makes those changes.
>
> But, but ...
>
> > So, you not only include say tor, but you setup the browser to use
> > it by default, etc.
>
> ... then there is the issue of choice. I am paranoid, but I also have
> strong opinions on how my desktop should look and behave. Will we be
> offering different variants of the Netizen spin, then?
>
> Or have we finally given up on this choice thing? ;)

No. I am not sure what point you are trying to make here...
can you try and rephrase or clarify?

You can still install and configure tor on any install.

I think it pretty unlikely that tor setup would be default on all
installs. Tor is slow, many people don't want it.

Having a spin where it's setup and configured for you could be a useful
starting point for some people who desire that. You can always adjust
from there.

> You could take that as a general criticism of most of the non-DE spins
> out there.

They are handy starting points, IMHO.

> I would be happier if someone did the hard work of making things more
> secure, in the products and spins that we already have.  I don't think
> our users should have to choose between a more secure and a less
> secure Fedora. eg., just because someone wants to use Tor, doesn't
> mean that she should have to install a different flavour of
> Fedora. She should be able to configure it in any of the flavours or
> products that she is already using.

Sure and they can.

There's (as always) many ways to the same goals here.

* A spin that is configured so people have an example and starting
  point.

* Better out of the box config on packages (like tor) that make it
  easier to set them up and configure things to use them.

* Better docs on how to do the above.

Look at all that choice!

kevin