mate-dialogs obsolete in F22

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 09:42:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:18:06 +0200, Jakob Hirsch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to F22 and noticed, that mate-dialogs was uninstalled
> and cannot be reinstalled due to mate-desktop having an Obsoletes entry
> for it. The corresponding changelog entry is quite short:
>
> > * Sat Jul 12 2014 Wolfgang Ulbrich <chat-to-me at raveit.de> - 1.9.1.1
> > - obsolete mate-dialogs for f22
>
> What was the reason for this?
>
> matedialog works quite well on F22 (
> installed the rpm with --nodeps) and I could not find a replacement for
> this tool, so I'm left a little puzzled...

Answering that in the %changelog comment would have been a great idea.

Pkgdb does not reflect the obsolete state of that package:
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/mate-dialogs/

It is not retired in dist git either:
  http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/mate-dialogs
   -> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mate-dialogs.git
     -> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mate-dialogs.git/tree/

Plenty of "Obsoletes" tags that are non-versioned, which is a packaging
mistake, because non-versioned Obsoletes names cannot be reintroduced:
  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mate-desktop.git/plain/mate-desktop.spec

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Renaming.2FReplacing_Existing_Packages