DKMS is not installing the right kernel-devel package

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jun 10 06:12:28 UTC 2015

Dan Book wrote on 09.06.2015 22:01:
> This has also been a problem for several releases with the akmods from
> rpmfusion.

There was always a problem; there where just less people running into
it, because yum/dnf installed "kernel-devel" most of the time, which
matched the kernel that was running on most systems; but quite a few
x86-32 users ran into problems afaics, as kernel-PAE get's installed
there sometimes and hence they needed kernel-PAE-devel.

Mosts of the docs and howtos on the net don't mention that, which leads
to confused and frustrating users; those in the end might be one of
multiple problems why they switch to another distribution.

> I think the more "correct" solution (read to the end) would
> be to somehow prioritize the kernel-devel package (possibly multiple)
> that matches the installed kernel(s).

That's not a solution, that's solving the problem for some users and
ignoring others (those that use kernel-PAE for example).

> [...]

CU
thl