DNF vs YUM, $pkg, $pkg-mpi, $pkg-openmpi having same provides

Susi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 11 20:15:13 UTC 2015

On 06/11/2015 09:01 AM, Sandro Mani wrote:
> So, whose fault is this? Packaging of dnf? Nothing relevant for this
> caught my eye skimming through the packaging guidelines.

I think this is dnf's fault. YUm didn't have the same problem, since if
multiple packages provided the necessary library, yum installed the one
with the shortest name, so out of scotch and scotch-mpich it'd install
scotch.

> And related: trying to install some $pkg-openmpi package, I don't
> generally see packages enforcing that the -openmpi version of some
> dependency library is installed as opposed to just the regular libs
> package. Should such requires need to be stated explicitly?

Yes, that's in the MPI guidelines. File bug reports on the packages.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org