F23 System Wide Change: Python 3 as Default

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 11 20:40:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, at 09:30 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
>
>> Could you please be more specific with your answers? What does *there* mean?
>
> there = Atomic Host

I think the point that Colin is trying to make is that while Atomic
Host does not depend on Ansible being installed, it is a very popular
utility used to remotely manage (potentially large) sets of Atomic
Hosts. Also, while Ansible is agentless it does require the remote
machine to have python2 installed. Therefore, Fedora Atomic Host is
likely to continue to ship Python 2.x as a part of it's default
installation as it's in the best interest of a large population of
it's user base.

So for the time being, the switch to python3 as default for Atomic
Host might not be an option or at the very least will be non-trivial
in terms of what is in the best interest of the users.

Colin, please correct me if i am incorrect.

-AdamM