DKMS is not installing the right kernel-devel package

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 11:24:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Dan Book <grinnz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>
> wrote:
>
>> Dan Book wrote on 09.06.2015 22:01:
>> > This has also been a problem for several releases with the akmods from
>> > rpmfusion.
>>
>> There was always a problem; there where just less people running into
>> it, because yum/dnf installed "kernel-devel" most of the time, which
>> matched the kernel that was running on most systems; but quite a few
>> x86-32 users ran into problems afaics, as kernel-PAE get's installed
>> there sometimes and hence they needed kernel-PAE-devel.
>>
>> Mosts of the docs and howtos on the net don't mention that, which leads
>> to confused and frustrating users; those in the end might be one of
>> multiple problems why they switch to another distribution.
>>
>> > I think the more "correct" solution (read to the end) would
>> > be to somehow prioritize the kernel-devel package (possibly multiple)
>> > that matches the installed kernel(s).
>>
>> That's not a solution, that's solving the problem for some users and
>> ignoring others (those that use kernel-PAE for example).
>>

> "The kernel-devel package that matches the installed kernel(s)" would
> include kernel-PAE-devel matching kernel-PAE, in this fantasy land I
> invented.
>

>> > [...]
>>
>> CU
>> thl
>>

> -Dan
>

>> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info
>> > <mailto:fedora at leemhuis.info>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     On 09.06.2015 21:04, Neal Gompa wrote:
>> >     > I've noticed that when dkms is installed, it's not grabbing the
>> right
>> >     > kernel-devel package as a dependency.
>> >
>> >     Because that's not possible with ordinary dependencies (might be
>> >     possible with soft dependencies [Suggests, Enhances etc]) unless we
>> >     change something in the kernel packaging (see below).
>> >
>> >     > Instead, it grabs
>> >     > kernel-debug-devel. This occurs on Fedora 21 and 22, and I'm not
>> sure
>> >     > why.
>> >
>> >     Because all kernel*devel package provide kernel-devel iirc.
>> >
>> >     > Anyone have any idea why this is happening and a way to work
>> around it?
>> >
>> >     Create something like a meta-package "kernel-devel-all" that
>> depends on
>> >     all available kernel-devel packages (kernel-devel, kernel-PAE-devel,
>> >     kernel-debug-devel, ...) for the arch in question; then add
>> "Requires:
>> >     kernel-devel-all" to the akmods and dkms packages. That's messy and
>> >     creates overhead for users, but that's afaics the only way it will
>> work
>> >     for everyone; otherwise you'll always run into situations where a
>> >     kernel-devel package for one kernel variant gets installed while
>> you are
>> >     running different variant. Example: You get kernel-devel via some
> [...]

What about some kind of virtual provides defined in repos/rpm/somewhere
that would automatically grab the kernel-devel package associated with the
*exact* kernel that is running at the time yum/dnf is installing a program
that depends on it? That would allow for things like DKMS to function
properly, since they'll have what they need to build kernel modules. Going
forward, kernel upgrades will also drag in the appropriate kernel-devel
packages to match, keeping things sane.