Can soft dependencies help to get the proper kernel-devel packages? (Was: Soft- Re: DKMS is not installing the right kernel-devel package)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jun 12 12:19:10 UTC 2015

Josh Boyer wrote on 12.06.2015 13:55:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> As I said, there are no great solutions here.

A "works most of the time"-solution would be: Install kernel-devel by
default. But I'm not seriously suggesting that, because I fully agree:
It's not a great solution.

Did anyone(¹) look at soft dependencies in rpm? Can they make our
tools install the kernel-devel packages in the variants that match the
kernel variants installed? I suspect they are made to solve problems
like this, but I'm not sure; and I don't know how far soft dependencies
are supported in out current stack of packaging tools.

CU
knurd

(¹) no, I'm not looking at you Josh