Can soft dependencies help to get the proper kernel-devel packages? (Was: Soft- Re: DKMS is not installing the right kernel-devel package)

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 13:15:49 UTC 2015

On 06/12/2015 02:40 PM, Radek Holy wrote:
> AFAIK, it is discussed these days whether weak dependencies can be
> used to express package preferences:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/WeakDependencies IIRC,
> there were some concerns but I don't remember what was the
> conclusion.

The OR syntax I mentioned in my previous mail in the other thread could
help here as well. It could be expressed with something like:

Requires: kernel-devel = 4.0.2-1.fc22 | kernel-devel-virtualprovide =
4.0.2-1.fc22

so it would pick kernel-devel by default as it's the right choice for
most cases, but if the user already has kernel-PAE-devel installed, then
it would satisfy the kernel-devel-virtualprovide virtual provide and
just use that.

---
Kalev