F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 12 17:00:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:53:32AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> Yeah, we did.  From my recollection, most of that focused on the unbound
> parts and how NM could add the dns=unbound stuff (which Pavel
> contributed) but less on the NM connectivity checking, becuase Fedora
> hadn't turned that on by default yet.  I'm all fine with dns=unbound,
> that's not the issue.  The issue is more around what happens with NM's
> connectivity checking, since that's used by quite a few clients,
> including GNOME Shell.

I personally find the anchor icon very confusing. As a non-expert in
this area, it doesn't represent anything which seems relevant to me,
and all of the right click menu options, once I figured out to right
click, are obscure to me.

I understand "Hotspot sign-on" and can go from there, but I can't see
it not completely perplexing e.g. my dad.

I don't know what "Reprobe" does (and especially not because there's no
context other than the anchor), and "Probe Results" give some
indication that it has to do with DNSSEC — but I think that if our
users have to learn what that means and understand all that in order to
be secure (or just to browse the web at _any_ level), we're not
succeeding.

I hope we can get a design for this which integrates better with GNOME
Shell and the existing network icon there.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>