F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Jun 12 22:32:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-06-12 at 11:19 -0700, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> It wouldn't really have to be Firefox, but getting the browser chrome
> right to avoid trivial phishing attacks is critical, and all real
> browsers already do that fairly well, whereas the simple embedded web
> views (e.g. gnome-shell-portal-helper) get it nearly 100% wrong.

Hi, it sounds like we have a problem to fix in gnome-shell-portal
-helper. What specifically are your requirements for the browser
chrome? I figure as long as the window title is something along the
lines of "Connect to wireless network" and the hotspot can't change
that, then we should be good? We could also put a short explanation of
what is going on in a GtkInfoBar to make it really stand out. I guess
the goal is to make the chrome distinctive enough that a user stops to
think "something is not right, don't enter password" when the captive
portal helper appears and displays google.com.

FWIW the tech used for GNOME apps that need a web view is WebKitGTK+.