Unison in Fedora

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 10:44:44 UTC 2015

I did a bit of experimental packaging of Unison over the weekend, and
-- proving the importance of creating a mock-up -- I came to realize
why my proposal was wrong:

 - Subpackages would have the wrong version number.  eg: If the main
   package was unison-2.48.3-1.fc23, the Unison 2.40 branch subpackage
   would have been called unison240-2.48.3-1.fc23 (containing only
   version 2.40.x).

 - The current scheme actually complies with Fedora guidelines, which
   I didn't realize until I reread the packaging guidelines more
   carefully.  See:
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#MultiplePackages

So I guess we're stuck with the old branches in separate packages as
now.

*However* I would still like to package upstream Unison (currently 2.48.3)
by reviving the "unison" package (currently dead.package).  This
package would contain te latest upstream version and would break
backwards compatiblity whenever upstream did.

Also as there is a new version of unison227 available upstream, I will
push an update for that in Rawhide shortly.

Rich.