Packaging Guidelines for Applications using Git Submodules

Tomas Hozza thozza at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 07:24:28 UTC 2015

On 13.06.2015 04:33, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the situation where a
> project decides to use submodules in Git.  The archive generated doesn't
> incorporate the submodule files.
>
> I've done some searching on this, and haven't really come up with much.
> I've reviewed:  Packaging:Github
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL?rd=Packaging/SourceURL#Github>
>
> ; but that really doesn't address the submodule issue.
>
> I looked through some packages that are currently in the Fedora
> repository and found where a few folks have rebuilt the tarball and
> referenced that version as the Source in the spec file; then they put in
> a comment stating:
>
> The source of this package was pulled from upstreams' vcs.  Use the
> following
> commands to generate the tarball:
> - git clone
> - git submodule init
> - git submodule update
>
> This approach is the best that I've found.  Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks much!

Hi.

I think the approach used in the existing packages ~ to rebuild the
source tarball is a valid solution.

You may want to file a FPC ticket [1] describing the situation, so that
FPC may potentially change the Packaging guidelines to include some note
on git submodules. If you have some proposed draft of the change (e.g.
describing the current approach used in other packages) I think it is a
good idea to include it.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/

Regards,
Tomas
--
Tomas Hozza
Software Engineer - EMEA ENG Developer Experience

PGP: 1D9F3C2D
Red Hat Inc.                 http://cz.redhat.com