F23 System Wide Change: Python 3 as Default

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jun 17 19:11:36 UTC 2015

Greetings.

In today's FESCo meeting we had a lot of discussion about this change.

You can read the meeting yourself in:
http://meetbot-raw.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2015-06-17/fesco.2015-06-17-18.00.log.html#l-109

Speaking only for myself here:

I am very happy we are moving more things to python3 and I appreciate
it's a lot of work and effort. :)

I don't think we should use the word 'default' in this change unless we
define really what that means. It seems like it means different things
to different people.

It would be great to come up with an "finished" state for this, but I
don't know what it would really be. When all our tools used to build
Fedora are ported? When no python2 depending packages are in repos?
When python2 is no longer shipped?

kevin