F23 System Wide Change: Unicode 8.0 support

Jan Kurik jkurik at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 10:21:36 UTC 2015

= Proposed System Wide Change: Unicode 8.0 support =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Unicode_8.0

Change owner(s):
* Mike Fabian <mfabian At redhat DOT com>
* Pravin Satpute <pravins At fedoraproject DOT org>
* Siddhesh Poyarekar <spoyarek AT redhat DOT com >

Unicode 8.0 got release on 17th June 2015. It includes 41 new emoji characters (including five modifiers for diversity), 5,771 new ideographs for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, the new Georgian lari currency symbol, and 86 lowercase Cherokee syllables. It also adds letters to existing scripts to support Arwi (the Tamil language written in the Arabic script), the Ik language in Uganda, Kulango in the Côte d’Ivoire, and other languages of Africa. In total, this version adds 7,716 new characters and six new scripts.

== Detailed Description ==
Unicode 8.0 got release on 17th June 2015. It includes 41 new emoji characters (including five modifiers for diversity), 5,771 new ideographs for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, the new Georgian lari currency symbol, and 86 lowercase Cherokee syllables. It also adds letters to existing scripts to support Arwi (the Tamil language written in the Arabic script), the Ik language in Uganda, Kulango in the Côte d’Ivoire, and other languages of Africa. In total, this version adds 7,716 new characters and six new scripts.

To get support for these characters in Fedora we will need updates to core libraries Glibc and Lib ICU. We are planning to update our core libraries Glibc and Lib ICU with the help of upstream.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: Work with upstream and file bugs and provide patches where required.
* Other developers: This change will impact glibc, ICU and all applications that uses
    these libraries. Other Developers do not need to make any changes from their end,
    but they need to watch how their application behaves with improved localedata. We
    need proper testing to see that it does not break any application.
* Release engineering: No work required from Release engineering.
* Policies and guidelines: No, this change does not required any updates to Policies or packaging guideline updates.
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)

--
Jan Kuřík