Btrfs as default filesystem for Fedora 23?

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 16:24:43 UTC 2015

Hey all,

Over the last few months (since Fedora 22 beta's release), I've been using
Btrfs as my daily driver filesystem across a multitude of machines. After
Fedora 22 released, I tried it with RAID 5 and RAID 6 enabled on a few
machines with fantastic success (there aren't even any scary warnings about
being experimental anymore!).

Admittedly, my tests have been specific to my needs (media center storage,
workstations, laptops with SSDs, etc.), but it appears to work really well
now.

Also, with kernel 4.1 imported into rawhide, we've now got performance
improvements for large (>20TB) filesystems (though it's been plenty fast
for my 48TB array).

As I recall, Josef Bacik mentioned that he'd be pushing for Btrfs becoming
the default in Fedora 23
<https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-October/203058.html>.
At this point, I'm personally convinced that it is certainly ready and
doable for F23.

Perhaps other guys with more experience on this stuff could chime in with
feedback/information/etc, but it feels like we should start the process to
get everything ready for Btrfs being default in Fedora 23.

The question now is: as a distribution, where are we on this? The tools
seem to work, the filesystem appears stable, and I've not been able to
cause the filesystem to corrupt itself with any kind of user error or cause
it to keel over. So, what's left?